The role of UK MD will report directly into GroupM’s UK Chief Product & Services Officer with a dotted line into Xaxis EMEA CEO.
The position will have 2 VP/Partner level direct reports and be ultimately responsible for a total headcount of c.75 and growing. The role will hold overall P&L responsibility for the business in the UK and will be responsible for leading, managing and profitably growing the business, setting the strategy and delivering on this.
Key responsibilities fall into the following categories, which are further detailed below:
- Strategy & leadership
- Marketing and comms
- Commercial & sales development
- Product & operations
- Stakeholder management
1) Strategy & Leadership
- Set and execute the overall strategy for the UK business to continue to deliver growth in revenue and profit for Xaxis;
- Align your vision, strategy and execution to that of Xaxis and GroupM both locally and regionally;
- Work with the UK and regional leadership teams to clarify and simplify the positioning of the various solutions to maximize market fit and overall revenue;
- Motivate, inspire and build the team – harnessing the capabilities of a dynamic and highly-skilled group of senior executives to ensure that team members have a clear sense of purpose and direction;
- Continue to foster an internal culture of product innovation & agile development as a key engine of growth.
2) Commercial & Sales Development
- Work with the agencies and Commercial Development director to continue to develop the business with the GroupM agencies and with direct clients where relevant;
- Build greater levels of agency engagement by educating agency CEO’s and their teams on the strategic value of Xaxis and putting this into action;
- Represent the Xaxis overall brand and businesses with the agencies, clients, GroupM and with the industry;
- Manage the annual, quarterly and monthly budgeting and reporting process, working closely with local GroupM UK leadership and regional and global Xaxis leaders. Ensure budgets and forecasts are accurate, based on a strong understanding of the underlying risks, business, clients, and cost structure.
3) Products & Operations
- Work with the Director of Product and Senior Director of Operations to drive the ongoing evolution of the technology platform to deliver on the business’ requirements;
- Prioritize and communicate the UK needs when it comes to the underlying global technology platform and products, and ensure that deliverables are relevant and executable in the UK.
4) Stakeholder Management
- Develop strong and productive relationships with all internal and external stakeholders to ensure that client satisfaction is high and that the needs of the UK in terms of resources and technology platforms are fulfilled;
- The nature of the WPP, GroupM and Xaxis structure will mean that the incumbent will need to action all the above points whilst simultaneously managing the internal stakeholders and political dynamics of the Group.
The ideal candidate is likely to be an agency/product business orientated executive with experience from within ad-tech, performance agency and a deep-rooted appreciation of the digital advertising market.
The individual must be a strong leader, able to motivate and inspire.
Politically-astute, they will bring exceptional stakeholder management skills, capable of managing and engaging with multiple stakeholders including agency CEOs and technology experts.
Credible, charismatic and impactful, the incoming MD will be intellectually very strong and highly proficient at contending with the complexity that comes with working in a highly dynamic and innovative space.
The ideal candidate will understand the online advertising arena and will possess a true grasp of how technology, data and service can be applied to drive value for clients, and profitable return for the business.
They will be a strong and empathetic leader who can drive growth and performance balanced with Xaxis’ technological and commercial priorities. As such, they will be an astute business leader, commercially-savvy, experienced P&L manager and deep tech and data competence.
Willing to roll up their sleeves, they will be able to switch quickly between the micro and macro, capable of being in the detail where necessary whilst possessing the holistic strategic mindset to be able to spot strategic opportunities and deliver on these.
- An industry veteran, you will have extensive relevant experience at a senior leadership level within the advertising / marketing / technology industry.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to draw conclusions based on data.
- Must have prior experience in a strong mobile / performance / technology / digital media environment. It is important to have a good understanding of the value and role of data and technology. Experience at or with a DSP (Demand Side Platform) or Data Management Platform would be a plus.
- You will have a proven track record of creating opportunities and delivering results in a very competitive environment.
- You will have a demonstrated track record in successfully managing the operations of fast-growing businesses and proven delivery of margin / profit to a business – results driven.
- You will have a well-established profile in the industry, be in a position to confidently represent Xaxis at senior levels within WPP, GroupM and its agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and written / oral communication skills.
- Understanding and mastery of consultative selling.
- Ability to build, lead and retain high performing teams.
- Strong understanding of industry trends, technologies and pricing models.
- Excellent understanding of agency dynamics and campaign buying and planning.
- Firm grasp on the audience and identity data that makes up audience profiles, online ad targeting, and campaign optimization.
- Able to deliver against multiple simultaneous tasks with excellence.
- You will have a proven ability to build and leverage relationships with senior people in large and small organizations.
- Technology and/or Software product management experience would be a plus.
- While academic qualifications count less than hands-on experience and results, a college degree or masters (or higher) will be seen as positive for a role that requires intellectual as well as interpersonal rigour.
CORE XAXIS VALUES
DE&I: Proactively develop diverse teams and implement and promote diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives that reflect the diversity of Modern Britain. Serves as a role model for inclusion and holds teams to account for inclusive behaviours.
Innovative: Recognise and celebrate innovation, instilling excitement in others about what can be accomplished by bravely going beyond. Challenge existing ways of working, bringing in external thinking to identify and implement solutions that have the potential to improve the work delivered by teams.
Accountable: Role model accountability for results and empowers others to take ownership, investing high levels of energy to deliver critical initiatives and motivate teams. Display the determination, drive and ambition to drive multiple teams forward and achieve excellent results.
Collaborative: Engages effectively with multiple teams and business leaders who are critical to success through formal and informal relationship-building opportunities. Role model and reward collaborative behaviours and commitment to business objectives across multiple teams.
Focused: Role models and rewards commitment to getting the job done and establishes expectations for teams to focus and deliver on outputs. Sets clear priorities for multiple teams to deliver to internal and external stakeholders.
Xaxis is The Outcome Media Company. We combine unique brand-safe media access, unrivalled programmatic expertise, and 360-degree data with proprietary artificial intelligence to help global brands achieve the outcomes they value from their digital media investments. Xaxis offers managed programmatic services in 47 markets, including North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa. For more information, visit www.xaxis.com.